Large mass concrete pours are becoming more and more prevalent as project ambitions grow. When completing mass concrete pours there are a number of important factors that need to be considered and addressed, these include:
- Understanding that once the concrete is poured some factors e.g. rate of hydration and peak temperatures can no longer be controlled, so it is important to get things like mix designs, cementitious blends, concrete temperatures, right before you start.
- Once placed the focus moves to thermal monitoring and managing temperature differentials between the core and surface of the elements.
- Mix design
- Optimizing cement contents.
- Pure Portland cement mixes generates more heat than cementitious blends containing fly ash and/or slag, look at replacing Portland cement with fly ash and/or slag.
- Reducing concrete placing temperatures using chilled water, ice, etc.
- Construction requirements:
- Appropriate insulation methods.
- Comprehensive real time monitoring of concrete temperatures.